Dr Jonathan Duckworth
Director of the Creative
Interventions Art and Rehabilitative
Technology lab (CiART)
Media and Communication
Ph: +61 3 9925 9648
RMIT Staff Profile
RMIT Research Repository
Dr Duckworth is a digital media artist and designer with a background in architecture. He brings to RMIT a broad range of industry and research experience in digital media design. Dr Jonathan Duckworth has been involved in the research and development of interactive media applications through RMIT’s Virtual Reality Centre since 1999. His current research relates to the design and evaluation of systems for movement rehabilitation in patients who have sustained traumatic brain injury. In collaboration with scientists and clinicians, Dr Duckworth has developed an approach to rehabilitation which integrates computer games technology, tangible user interfaces, augmented feedback, and artistic expression to enhance patients’ motor and cognitive skills. His research demonstrates how rehabilitative applications may benefit significantly from theories of embodied interaction design and digital media art.
Directed by Dr Duckworth, CiART has established a reputation for creative practice-based research that spans the nexus of art, design, science, and technology. CiART is forging strategic links across the University to create opportunities for trans-disciplinary collaborative research, innovation and creative practice. This includes links and collaborative projects with the Micro Nano Research Facility (MNRF), VxLab, Industrial Design, and Enabling Capability Platforms at RMIT. This cross- institutional, multidisciplinary lab brings together high calibre researchers to explore how arts practice, design, technology and science research can coalesce to achieve effective and sustainable solutions that have significant impact in society and creative practice.
Interactive Media Art
Arts and Sciences
Tangible Computing for Disabilities and Rehabilitation.
- Wilson, P.,Green, D.,Caeyenberghs, K.,Steenbergen, B.,Duckworth, J. (2016). Integrating New Technologies into the Treatment of CP and DCD In: Current Developmental Disorders Reports, 3, 138 – 151
- Duckworth, J.,Eldridge, R.,Bennett, C.,Wilson, P.,Mumford, N.,Shum, D.,Thomas, P.,Williams, G. (2015). ELEMENTS In: Premier’s Design Award – Best in Category Digital DesignMelbourne, Australia
- Duckworth, J.,Eldridge, R.,Hullick, J. (2015). Resonance In: SONAR +D Barcelona, Spain
- Duckworth, J.,Mumford, N.,Caeyenberghs, K.,Eldridge, R.,Mayson, S.,Thomas, P.,Shum, D.,Williams, G.,Wilson, P. (2015). Resonance: an interactive tabletop artwork for co-located group rehabilitation and play In: Universal Access in Human-Computer Interaction. Access to Learning, Health and Well-Being. Part III., Los Angeles, United States of America, 2-7 August 2015
- Duckworth, J.,Hullick, J.,Eldridge, R. (2015). SELECT NATURALIS In: Bendigo International Festival of Exploratory Music (BIFEM) Bendigo, Australia
- Duckworth, J.,Bayliss, J.,Thomas, P.,Shum, D.,Mumford, N.,Wilson, P. (2014). Tabletop computer game mechanics for group rehabilitation of individuals with brain injury In: 8th International Conference on Universal Access in Human-Computer Interaction (UAHCI 2014), Held as part of HCI International 2014, Crete, Greece, 22-27 June 2014
- Mumford, N.,Duckworth, J.,Wilson, P. (2014). The application of enhanced virtual environments for co-located childhood movement disorder rehabilitation In: Proceedings of the 10th international conference on disability, virtual reality and associated technologies (ICDVRAT 2014), Gothenburg, Sweden, 2-4 September 2014
- Duckworth, J.,Eldridge, R.,Hullick, J. (2014). Resonance Table in These Compulsive Behaviours, (Concert 4) RE:EVOLUTION In: The Melbourne Festival Melbourne, Australia
- Duckworth, J. (2013). Embracelet In: Embracing Innovation Volume 3 Canberra, ACT
- Duckworth, J.,Lade, J.,Von Seld, L.,Von Seld, D. (2013). Audio Arc In: Creativity and Cognition: Intersections and Interactions Sydney, Australia